For Double Down, the team I’m a member of, the evening was the culmination of 12 months of training, workshopping and live shows.
For me personally, the training, as well as being heaps of fun, has been a source of huge personal growth. I’ve developed a wide range of skills and techniques which I put use in my everyday life.
I also employ many of the skills and techniques in my coaching practice, to help my clients overcome a range of problems such as: social anxiety, lack of confidence, low self-esteem and stress.
So what is Improv?
Improv is a state of being and creating action without pre-planning.
“All the world’s a stage.” ~ William Shakespeare
Commercially, Improv is taught mainly as a comedic art-form but, as I discovered, the skills are applicable far beyond just the stage.
The Improv Factor - how you too can benefit from Improv
"In life, like in Improv, there is no script."
When I signed up for my first Improv class in 2014, with the Wellington Improvisation Troupe, it was not with the intention of someday headlining my own comedy show, my goal was simply to boost my public speaking ability and confidence. However, I soon realised that improve offers so much more…..
Here is a dozen of the wide range of benefits that Improv can deliver:
- Reduce/overcome social anxiety.
- Face your fears and take action. Overcome your fear of public speaking and perform during life’s difficult/high stake moments when the spotlight’s on you.
- Develop your focus and listening skills.
- Accept and respond to feedback.
- Adapt and respond to unexpected situations.
- Gain self- confidence.
- Get a great mental workout. Improv develops your ability to think fast, build off ideas and generate creative alternatives.
- Enhance your short term memory.
- Stay mindful and tuned into the present moment.
- Collaborate with others.
- Overcome perfectionism. Improv is an imperfect activity. You learn to accept that what you do and say is not going to be perfect and that’s OK.
- Build trust in yourself and others.
And perhaps the most important benefit of all, it’s heaps of fun and you are guaranteed to laugh your socks off!
When I’m feeling down in the dumps, spending a couple of hours playing with a community of funny, creative people quickly boosts my mood and my energy, and my stress level drops.
Finding an Improv trainer
If you’re interested in dipping your toes into the Improv waters I recommend checking out these two excellent Improv troupes:
Helping people to reduce and gain control over their stress and anxiety is a passion of mine. If you'd like to explore how I can help you to achieve freedom from social anxiety, problematic anxiety and stress, then contact me today on 021 056 8389 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To go ahead and book your no obligation 1 hour Freedom From Stress Consultation today, simply click on the Book Now box below.
Have a great week,
Tony helps individuals to harness the power of their mind to achieve success and well-being in life, work and business. Tony's particular area of expertise is in helping people perform under pressure and gain freedom from worry, anxiety and stress. Tony’s solution focused approach to coaching uses a range of techniques drawn from the fields of co-active coaching, hypnosis, positive psychology and neuro-linguistic programming (NLP).