This statistic isn’t surprising. The promise of flexible working hours and complete autonomy draws many people to start up small businesses, but while running a small business can be enormously satisfactory, it’s also not without a unique set of challenges.
- It often comes with a 24-7 commitment and you’re usually the first one in the door (on site, in the shop or one the road) in the morning and the last one out the door at night.
- You end up doing your admin after the kids have gone to bed most nights
- A whole free weekend hasn’t happened for a while.
- Holidays are a distant memory.
- Some of your employees take home more money than you do
- You’re frustrated with having to fix everybody’s problems all the time
- You often feel overwhelmed and alone in your business.
The constant pressure of running a small business, if not managed well, can build to breaking point and, have negative implications on personal productivity, well-being and business success.
To handle the pressure, to really enjoy running your business and to achieve the success and rewards you deserve, you need to be able to:
- Perform under pressure
- Manage stress
- Maintain your productivity
- Identify and overcome subconscious obstacles (your blind spots) [We all have them - that's one of the reasons why I have a coach].
- Build effective habits and break the unhelpful ones
That’s quite a list, and some people will be stronger in some areas and weaker in others. The good news is that with the right commitment and practice each of these skills can be developed or enhanced. While it's possible to develop these skills alone, it's much easier, and faster to achieve, when you work with a coach.
I help small business owners develop the cognitive skills and behaviours they need to consistently perform under pressure, avoid chronic stress and cope with everyday stress. If you'd like to explore how I can help you, let's have a chat. You can contact me on 021 056 8389 or email me at email@example.com.
If you’re not ready to give me call yet, I urge you to do something, just one small thing to start moving in the right direction and, the simplest, smallest thing you can do is to subscribe to my weekly blog post. Each week I discuss an aspect of performing under pressure, personal development, stress and anxiety management and give helpful advice and tips.
Until next week,
Tony works with Small Business Owners – to help them handle the pressure of running their business and to make work fun, enjoyable and ultimately more profitable. Tony's particular area of expertise is in helping people perform under pressure and gain freedom from worry, anxiety and distress. Tony’s solution focused approach to coaching uses a range of techniques drawn from the fields of co-active coaching, clinical hypnotherapy, positive psychology and neuro-linguistic programming (NLP).
Contact Tony today to discuss how he can help you, or if you think Tony could help someone you know, you might like to encourage them to get in touch with him.